Monday, September 8, 2008

Tough Times

When you look at the above photo, what do you see? An adorable newborn and her tired, but proud mother. Without Bethany House, this baby would not have received proper prenatal care, nor would she have a solid start on life. I'd like to share Tonya's story with you and let you judge just how much change took place in her life.


Baby Blessing for Tonya – A Modern Miracle - as told by Tonya


I was born and raised in Idaho. The first few years of my life were very lonely. My real mom was a meth addict, as was my dad, when he wasn’t in jail or prison. Unfortunately, my loneliness wasn’t replaced with something better. Instead, I was taken by the state and placed in one abusive foster home after another.


Finally, when I was 8, I got the wonderful news I was finally going to be adopted. Was it possible that the nightmare I had been living would soon come to an end? Little did I know, that my so-called dream-come-true was just the beginning of a nightmare that would last 8 long years. The abuse I endured from the adoptive parents made those 18 foster homes look like heaven. One afternoon, I was late returning home and was hit with an object so hard that I only remember the first blow. When I worked I was being rushed to the hospital. After this incident, I was placed back in the foster system where I went to four more homes and a group home.


After I turned 18, my read dad got out of prison, found me and we moved in together. I honestly thought that this was my chance to have a real family. This was not the case; instead we did drugs together, and committed crimes right up until I was arrested. Then my dad was locked up again, this time for murder. Lost and confused, I jumped head first into the drug world.


A lifeline was thrown out to me by a high-school friend, who invited me to move to Portland. The offer came with a job and housing. Since I was 5 months pregnant, homeless, jobless, and hopeless, I agreed and hopped on the first bus I could, but discovered that due to my criminal history, I was not allowed to live in the place I had planned to call home. I was ready to just give up, but this friend had already donated to Bethany House and knew about their ministry. She asked me to give it a try.


Well, that was in November of 2007, and thanks to Bethany House giving me a chance at a different life, I am now the proud mom of a beautiful baby girl named Jozlyn Marie. Jozlyn was born on February 26th 2008. While living here at Bethany House, I’ve learned the importance of living a life that includes God, making wise choices, and I am working on building healthy relationships with trustworthy people. I honestly believe if it weren’t for Bethany House I would be neck deep in the drug world, and my daughter would be in state care. I can’t find the words to properly describe how incredibly grateful I am and will always be to Bethany House and their supporters.
-Tonya

Just recently, Tonya and her beautiful, healthy, girl moved out of Bethany House into their own cozy apartment close by. Tonya has found awesome daycare nearby allowing her to work in retail management at a local kitchen supply store. This is just another "miracle story" from the pages of Bethany House's book of changed lives.

We want to keep our doors open and make sure that every young woman seeking maternity services will have them available. Unfortunately, due to the economy, for the first time in twenty years, this past year as brought this program to the verge of closing.

Bethany House needs financial partners to keep its program alive and families thriving. Is our mission important to you? If so, put your investment where your beliefs are and give. If radical giving does not happen within the next month, we will close. Three other local maternity homes have had to shut their doors in the past year making keeping ours open even more critical. As pregnancy rates again rise, women who choose to have their children need a safe place to embrace motherhood or consider adoption. Won't you help?

You can donate safely online at: http://www.bethanyhousenet.org/.

Watch for yet another dramatic story soon.

God bless you!

No comments: